Molecular and Industrial Biotechnology Group :The group works in the area of the study of biological molecules, especially in the field of proteins with applications in biomedicine and biotechnology.
The group is formed by a multidisciplinary team that includes the participation of chemists, biologists and chemical engineers and is made up of senior researchers and research scholarship students.
The group’s activity focuses on two lines: basic research that includes molecular studies (designing and obtaining recombinant proteins by means of genetic engineering techniques) and applied research that aims to develop new materials and processes (modification of enzymes for industrial applications of importance in the improvement of processes and modification of polymers for obtaining systems with high added value).
The Molecular and Industrial Biotechnology group has experience in Spanish and European research projects and in collaboration with industry. The lines of work focus on the study of the structure and properties of membrane receptor proteins, enzymatic catalysis on natural and synthetic fibres and the study and identification of colour molecules and their properties.
We are currently working on the following projects :
- Design, expression and purification of recombinant proteins of biomedical and biotechnological interest.
- Study of G-protein coupled receptors and their structural and functional properties.
- Analysis of binding properties of ligands of pharmacological interest.
- Study of the correlation of mutations in G-protein coupled receptors and pathologic processes (for example, mutations in the retina protein rhodopsin that cause the degenerative disease retinitis pigmentosa).
- Study of new products and new technologies based on the application of enzymatic methods.
- Study of uses of cellulose waste.
- Study of the modification of natural and synthetic fibres using enzymatic methods.
- Study of new dyes that can be applied to protein and cellulose fibres.
Relevant equipment :
Category 3 radioactive test laboratory